There are many different FTP clients and tools you can use to connect to FTP server, upload files from computer to server or download files from web server to local computer. FileZilla is the most popular one. This FTP client is available for most of the popular operating systems including Windows, Mac OS and Linux. It is also the best FREE FTP solution. Anyone can download and use it for free. In order to use this FTP client on your PC, you should follow these steps:
- Download and install the free FTP tool on your computer; You can download this FTP utility here.
- Create an FTP account if not yet; see following guide to create FTP account in cPanel with Bluehost.
- Specify your FTP login credentials and connect to FTP server via Filezilla.
We will show you three different ways you can connect to FTP server using FileZilla free FTP utility below.
Connect to FTP server using FileZilla
Run FileZilla, you will be prompted to input Host address, FTP username and password, FTP port number in the Quick Connect bar. The FTP port is 21 by default, however you can usually leave it as blank and connect to server without input the port number. See below figure.
Connect to FTP server using FileZilla Site Manager
There are mainly two steps to connect to FTP server via Site Manager. Firstly you need to add FTP server to FileZilla via Site Manager; Secondly quickly select and connect to FTP server via Site Manager.
Go to File menu >> Site Manager, then create a new site with these information:
- Host: your FTP server IP address or your domain name;
- Port: 21 or leave it blank
- Protocol: FTP – File Transfer Protocol (secure FTP is also supported by this FTP tool, see this guide to connect to server via secure FTP)
- Encryption: choose a suitable one according to your needs
- Logon Type: Normal
- User: your FTP username
- Password: your FTP password
To connect to FTP server via Site Manager is easy. Click the site manager icon from the top tools bar, which you can find below the File menu, there will be a down triangle besides. You will then open the Site Manager with a list of existing FTP servers or sites. Click on the FTP site or server to quickly connect it via FileZilla without inputting any FTP login details as you have saved these info when add the FTP server or site to Site manager above.
Reconnects to the last used server
You can mouse on the tools and icons at the top tools bar of FileZilla to show the details of each tool. There is a “Reconnects to the last used server” tool you can use to quickly connect to the same FTP server as your previous connection. FileZilla will remember your last FTP connection, so you can click this button to reconnect to the last used server. With the current FileZilla version, you can find this tool or icon below Bookmarks and above the Username input box.